Saturday, January 29, 2011

Clip of the (almost every) day: Ocki Fleitman

Oscar "Ocki" Fleitman
When I began recording the stories of veterans of the 712th Tank Battalion, with which my father served, I would take my little Sony Walkman style recorder into the hospitality room. There, I would record the kind of reminiscences that make their way into few documentaries or popular history books. Sometimes the background noise would be prohibitive and I could only use a transcript of the conversation or the story. Other times the audio, with some background noise, would be sufficiently clear to put on a CD or post on the Internet.

In 1993, I recorded the following conversation in which Joe Fetsch and Wayne Hissong reminisced with a couple of other members of the battalion's Service Company. Fetsch was a gasoline truck driver, and Hissong drove a truck that delivered ammunition to the tanks.

I've broken the conversation into four clips.

Part 1
Part 2
part 3
part 4

1 comment:

  1. Occie was my grandfather's brother. We'd always heard the story of him getting shot, but thanks for the audio from eyewitnesses! I used the info for his place on our family tree.

    ReplyDelete